Thursday, April 17, 2014

Growing Black Oil Sunflower Seed Sprouts for Chickens

Growing Black Oil Sunflower Seed Sprouts for Chickens



A happy chicken makes a happy me!
What makes a chicken happy? Treats for one thing! 


Sprouts are an excellent treat for chickens. In this instance I'm sprouting black sunflower seeds. Sprouting these seeds makes the seed more nutritious and easier to digest. Also it takes very little effort to prepare this treat for the chickens.


First I fill a jar half way with seeds.

Next I cut out a piece of cheese cloth and secure it on the jar with a jar ring.

I, then, fill the jar with water.

Leave the jar of soaking seeds sit over night or at least 8 hours. After that time you drain the seeds (through the cheesecloth), rinse them with fresh water, and drain the water out.


Place the jars on its side in a dark area (the other jars in this picture are my alfalfa and broccoli sprouts). Taking them out once or twice a day to rinse them.

This is what they look like 3 days later (I probably could have let them sprout more but I was excited to give these to the chickens)

Take these little lovelies to your chickens.
 

This is the first time I've given these chickens this treat so they didn't know what to do with it at first (except this curious little guy who was right on them).

I spread them out on the ground and slowly they all got curious.

More and more come to check it out!


 Then they all realize: This is delicious!

End result: A happy little flock!



No comments:

Post a Comment